AN HOUR AT A RAILWAY STATION


     A railway station is a place buzzing with all sorts of activities and excitement. It is truly a thrilling experience to be at a railway platform, especially when one is visiting it to receive or see off someone, because, then one is at one's ease, free from the tension of getting in or out of a train. 
     Last Sunday, I went to the Kandy railway station to see off my friend, Sanam. He was leaving by Colombo Express for Colombo. The departure of the train was scheduled at 17.30 hours, but not knowing the exact time, I reached the platform at 16.30 hours. I had an hour at my disposal, so I started loitering around the platform. 
     Matara Express, the train for Matara, was just leaving from platform No 4. The platform was very crowded. The late comers were hurrying and helter-skelter, trying either to locate their compartment or some place where they could find a seat for themselves. Children being hurried by their parents, were crying, coolies with head full of loads were elbowing their way through the crowd to find the correct seats for their passengers. Passengers who were already seated were peeping through the windows, bidding farewell to their friends and relatives. The hawkers were crying hoarse and the vendors too were adding their share in jamming the platform. They were selling items like books, magazines, small eats, fruits etc. The train left after five minutes, and a heavy silence descended. The sea of humanity vanished, leaving the vendors and the coolies to rest a while, and to count their earnings. 
     Now, finding a vacant seat on a wooden bench, I sat down. Looking around, I found myself seated near an obese man. He looked quite majestic with his multiple chins spread out into an apron of fat over his collar and tie. He was quietly chewing betal. Suddenly he stooped forward and spat out the juice exactly at the geometric center of two luggage pieces kept a little distance away, completing unconcerned about the board right in front of him, reading "Keep the platform clean!"
     My attention was diverted to the commotion adjacent to me. A pickpocket was seen running with a lady's handbag. The lady and some other men were following in hot pursuit. The man was caught and given much deserved thrashing and was then handed over to the railway police. 
     Yet another train came to a halt at the same platform. It was bound for Badulla. To my surprise, I noticed that all the unreserved compartments were already occupied. I learnt that the passengers had got in when the train was still in the yard. No sooner did the train halt than the passengers hustled into the train, climbing over one another. After ten minutes this train too was signalled out. Before it gathered speed, I heard someone screaming "Stop, stop!" I saw a middle aged woman trying to get into one of the compartments. Some passengers, seeing the lady left behind, pulled the chain and the train came to a grinding halt. The lady was literally pulled in by the passengers. No sooner did the train start to move than again there was cries. I learnt that seeing a mother left behind,  the son had jumped down from the train and now he was left at the platform. The train was stopped once again and the young boy ran to join his mother. I wondered why people came so late to catch a train when they could reserve seats months in advance. 
     A shrill whistle heralded the arrival of yet another train. I was surprised to find that it was the Colombo Express. I spotted my friend, Sanam in the crowd, anxiously looking for his compartment. I joined him and assisted him in locating his seat. He paid five rupees to the coolie who had brought him only suitcase. But, the greedy and never to be satisfied coolie wanted more and left grudgingly when Sanam told him that he was entitled for only one rupee as per the railway rules. I bade goodbye to him, wishing him a safe and comfortable journey and returned home exhausted but amused. 


Comments

Popular Posts